In this week’s “How to Connect” video feature, Cheech from Fly Fish Food prepares us for the infamous salmon fly hatch with a true trout magnet variation, a Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly.
As we approach one of the most anticipated staples of the year, it seems necessary to cover a pattern that can become your best friend. Salmon flies are a member of the stone fly family that grow to relatively large sizes. These insects can reach lengths of up to three inches long, and the large trout can not devour themselves. This can be one of the most exciting times of the year to target trout and using a Chubby Chernobyl salmonfly is one way to make your efforts successful.
It is no secret that Chubby Chernobyl’s are one of the most effective dried flies on the market today, as they cover a wide variety of aquatic insects. This Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly will ride like a cork over water and create the perfect dry spot configuration. When it comes to matching a real Salmonfly, this model does it brilliantly. Just using a small amount of orange will match the cap precisely and can make your day in the water a memorable one.
Connecting this Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly is relatively simple and with a larger hook, this fly will walk up all day. Nothing beats fishing with dry flies over the summer, and tossing patterns that are inches long is as exciting as it can be. Pairing this with a large salmonmize nymph will make a perfect device to cover the entire water column. Every mold during this opening has the potential to stick to the trout of a lifetime and this chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly is a model that can make this happen.
- Hook: TMC 5263 Nymph & Streamer Hook – 25 Pake – 4
- thread: Semperfli Classic Waxed Yarn – 6/0 – Fl. ORANGE
- tail: Krystal Flash – Black
- body: Bruiser Blend Junior Dubbing – Black
- Body (Body 2): STS Trilobal Dubbing – Black
- Thorax: Ice Dub – UV Hot Orange
- Thorax (alternative): Ice Dub – UV Shrimp Pink
- Thorax (Alternative 2): 7 days sticky note
- Foam 1: Fly Tying Foam – 2mm – Black
- Foam 2: Fly Tying Foam – 2mm – Brown
- manual: EP Trigger Point Int’l Fibers – Pale Morning Dun
- pins: Round rubber feet – medium – black
Now you know how to tie one Salmonfly chubby in Chernobyl!
Videos and ingredients provided by Fly Fish Food.