Hunter Bags Maine Buck Sealed with Dead 10-Pointer

Close encounters with mature bucks are hard to come by in the woods of Maine. But to happen upon a pair of shooters with their horns locked together is a whole other level of rarity. That’s what Adam Blanchette of Lebanon, Maine saw while hunting in the Katahdin Iron Works area on the morning of November 10th.

Blanchet said he was following a slippery road the morning of the hunt. He had detected movement at the base of a distant fir tree and was looking for a closer look when he noticed a deer hoof pointed skyward. He texted his brother Daniel to say he was looking at what looked like a deer in its death throes.

But as he got closer, he realized that they were actually four upturned hooves belonging to two different bucks. The bucks were frozen to the forest floor after their antlers locked during a fight and a muzzle of one of them got stuck under a tree root.

“They must have been fighting for a while because there [was] 50 meters of torn ground,” said Blanchet, in a video he filmed shortly after the hunt. “As soon as I got closer, he was alive with his head back and was going crazy. other [had] has been dead for a while. He was all puffed up.”

The dead boy’s head was face down when Blanchet approached. The living deer was lying face up with its neck wrapped around the fir trunk. Blanchette said he was shocked, but with a tag in his pocket, he knew what he had to do next.

“I looked at him and I said, ‘I’m sorry,’ and I said it out loud and I shot him,” Blanchet later told Bangor Daily News. “It was bittersweet. It’s almost emotional. You feel bad.”

Maine Hunter Tags 9-Point Buck closed with a dead 10-pointer

Adam Blanchette harvested closed bucks with his father’s Remington deer rifle in 30-06.

Blanchette called his brother and father, and they dragged the 9-pointer over a half-mile of cutting, logging and bucking — back to the family’s deer camp. But not before contacting the Maine Warden Service, which dispatched a local officer to the scene. The ranger said the previously dead deer had been dead for at least 24 hours, and he gave Blanchette the permission she needed to possess its antlers as well.

Read further: A pair of large white-tailed bucks drown in Minnesota lake

According to Bangor Daily News, Blanchette plans to mount both deer in the position where they were found. “It was great to be able to do this with my dad, my brother and my friends,” he said. “We were able to enjoy seeing something we’ll probably never see again.”

Source link